Vegas Eye: Big, Pink and Black?
Thursday, April 17, 2014
Last week, a new Vegas Eye novice jumped in and solved part of Puzzle #181′s questions. Hopefully, Kaz will be back to complete her/his first solved puzzle! Old-hand Dave P. seemed to be on target for completing the 180th puzzle – but as of press time, both of these puzzles are still in limbo. And there are still several unsolved puzzles awaiting your expertise. Just click on this list and look for those puzzles with no comments listed — they would be the unsolved puzzles!
This week, I present you with an unusual view — there are plenty of vintage VE visual clues herein. Do you have what it takes to solve this one? If so, give it a whirl.
1. What is the peculiar thing in the foreground of Megan’s photo?
2. Where was she likely standing to capture this view?
3. What is the name of the business located directly behind where the photographer was standing?
4. How far in inches is it from this spot to the ticket office of the attraction in this VE puzzle?
5. And for extra credit…. what was located at this general location less than three years ago?
More about the Vegas Eye mystery photo game:
1) Anyone can play! If you think you know the location of the place or landmark pictured in the mystery photo(s) and can answer the accompanying questions, please post your responses as a comment below. Locations and landmarks are all located within a 35-mile radius of Las Vegas City Hall.
2) We invite you to contribute mystery photos to Vegas Eye and pose your own puzzle questions. If you’d like to contribute, please keep in mind that a good subject for a mystery photo should be unique in some way. There should be subtle but identifiable visual clues in the photo to help players solve the puzzle. Please send photos and puzzle questions to Vegas Eye at this address. (Please submit high resolution photos. Full-size images straight from your camera are best.)
3) If the players and contributors of this Vegas Eye game are unable to completely solve the questions posed by Vegas Eye, than Vegas Eye will be compelled to provide and post answers within a 30-day period of the original post. Participants in this Vegas Eye game will be awarded some level of bonus points for solving these puzzles within the thirty-day period. The calibration of the relative value of these bonus points is still be determined. However there have been two special honorees as the reigning super VE-Geo-Sleuths: October, 2012 Dave P, is the most active of the current puzzle sleuths and deserves special recognition for using geometry to triangulate the position of the photographer in this tricky VE puzzle. In October 2010, Tom Herbertson was able to deduce and otherwise figure out all of the mystery locations shown here and in 2011 Martin Veneroso has posted a number of detailed responses, like this one for the Las Vegas Strip pink elephant and this one which is seen by hundreds of people every day!
4) We invite you to subscribe to the Vegas Eye Mystery Photo feature so you’ll have the first shot at solving each week’s puzzle.